The knowledgebase is a categorized collection of answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) and articles. You can read articles in this category or select a subcategory that you are interested in.
Guide for Tenants
Dear Holiday Maker,
Welcome to Southern Staying!!! This guide is aimed at giving our tenants a brief summary of how they should go about in securing self catering and semi self catering holiday accommodation.
Finding a Property and Agent
Viewing the Property
Reserving the Property
Breakage Deposit / Cleaning Fees
Departure and Arrival
Booking in Procedures
Conditions of Let
Finding a Property and Agent
The first step is to visit our website at www.southernstaying.co.za and to complete the online request / reservation form.
The form provides SOUTHERN STAYING with valuable information about yourself and the accommodation you require.
We then search our database for suitable properties for you to view and will inform you accordingly.
You are most welcome to view our listings beforehand at www.southernstaying.co.za and give us your preferences.
Should suitable accommodation not be available we log your details so that we can contact you as soon as suitable accommodation becomes available.
It is wise to start looking at least 6 months before your vacation, as the nicer properties are viewed and reserved quickly. If it does not coincide with school holidays or long weekends you will probably still be able to find suitable accommodation on very short notice.
Stay away from private rentals. Southern Staying screen its
landlords and do everything in its power to protect the rights of both the
tenant and the landlord. Your deposit will be paid into our official trust
account. [You are all times welcome to ask Southern Staying to produce its
Estate Agency Affairs Board registration number.]
If you are looking for a property to rent outside the Southern Staying area then still feel free to contact us. We may be able to assist you.
Viewing the Property
Viewings will be arranged at times to suit you, including evenings and weekends, and you will invariably be accompanied by a member of staff, who will give advice and answer any questions you may have.
However, most of our clients book via the internet and will not
have the opportunity to visit the area before their vacation. To assist you we
post all our listings on the internet at www.southernstaying.co.za.
Please use this facility to ensure that you are happy with your choice and that
it falls within you price range. Ask
as many questions as you like.
Reserving the Property
Once you have decided on a property / unit, you will need to reserve it by completing our application form and paying a 'holding deposit'.
The application form must be signed and returned to Southern Staying together with proof that the holding deposit was deposited into our bank account. Once this is verified the booking will be official.
Assuming that the tenancy goes ahead, the deposit will be deducted from the monies due before you move in. If the landlord declines to grant the tenancy, it will be refunded. However the deposit will be forfeit if you decide not to proceed for any reason, or if you fail to provide complete and accurate information in your application.
No reservations may be discussed with the landlord. Please
respect their privacy.
Southern Staying reserve the right to require references and we may use the services of an independent referencing company to obtain and evaluate these references.
Rents are normally quoted per day per unit. All rents are payable by bank deposit and must we deposited 30 days before your arrival or upon the reservation day whichever comes first. We do not accept cheques or credit cards.
In addition to the holding deposit you will be required to pay a breakage deposit and departure cleaning fee.
The breakage deposit is held to cover damage, breakages, and any other liabilities under the terms of your tenancy agreement. Please note that under no circumstances can the deposit be used by the tenant to cover rent. The deposit will be refunded within 14 days after your departure should it be free of any claim against it.
The departure cleaning fee is compulsory in order to ensure that
the premises will be cleaned properly on your behalf and that it is handed back
in the state that you received it.
Southern Staying may, depending on the circumstances, charge fees to cover personal requests. However, this will be discussed beforehand whenever the need arises.
Arrival and Departure Time
Arrival times are 15:00 and departure times 10:00. Later departures will result into financial penalties.
Booking in Procedure
Please report to our offices to book in. Do not go directly to the unit as you will be required to sign documents etc.
Please report to our offices to book out.
House rules apply to all Southern Staying units. Please avail yourself with the content.
CONDITIONS OF LET:
The conditions of let are contained in your application form. Please avail yourself of the content before you sign the application. An example of the usual conditions are quoted below subject to the actually conditions contained in the application form.
1. The description of the property is as accurate as possible but cannot be warranted, nor does the description form any contract. Southern Staying, Struisbaai [herein referred to as “Company”] reserves the right to alter or improve same without notice.
2. The agreed amount of rent and the period of stay together with other relevant details are contained in the rent agreement.
3. A required 25% deposit must be paid within 24 hours of the online booking request being made. The balance is due 30 days before the start of the holiday WITHOUT REMINDER FROM THE COMPANY, or at the same time as the deposit is paid if the start of the holiday is within 30 days of the booking request date. Company reserves the right to declare the contract void, the deposit forfeited and to re-let the accommodation should the balance not have been received within the time limit and or conditions and or circumstances determine otherwise.
4. Holiday cancellation fees are NOT included in the rental. Should the Renter desire to cancel the booking a refund will only be made if the Company is able to re-let the accommodation for the period applicable. If successful Company will refund the deposit and balance, if already paid, less an 18% per day re-booking fee [calculations are based on the day tariff and number of cancelled days]. Company must be notified of cancellation in writing prior to the commencement of the holiday.
5. Should the Agent and or Proprietor have to cancel this holiday rent agreement for any reason, including double booking, every effort will be made to find suitable, alternative accommodation. If this is not possible, an immediate refund will be made of all monies paid by the Renter for the accommodation booked. No further financial claims or otherwise against Company and or Proprietor will be considered or instituted and are they indemnified against and exonerated from same.
6. Renter will not be allowed to occupy the rented premises if all rentals and fees are not paid upfront.
7. The period of let shall be from 3.00 pm on the day of arrival to 10.00 am on the day of departure, unless otherwise ARRANGED. A late departure fee, calculated at 50% of the day tariff, will be charged for every hour of late departure.
8. The contract confers on the Renter the right to occupy the accommodation for a holiday only and is this agreement not an 'assured tenancy' agreement.
9. The Renter must personally stay at the accommodation throughout the holiday and is solely responsible for the whole party. Assignees and sub-tenants are prohibited. No more than the stated number may stay at the property and pets are not allowed on the premises, except if same is arranged at the time when the reservation is made. Failure to comply will in addition carry a penalty that is equal to double the day tariff.
10. Renter undertakes to take all reasonable care in the use of the property and its contents, including the security of the property. The Renter will report any damages losses or breakages as soon as they occur and make amends as Company deems fit. Company and or Proprietor reserves the right to charge for repairs, losses and or replacements necessitated by any act or omission of Renter and or any of the Renter's party, guests and or visitors. If necessary, this may include an administration charge. A breakage deposit equal to 50% of the day tariff must be paid upfront which will be refunded into the bank account of Renter within 14 days after the date the rented premised is evacuated, provided that same is not required to cover and or repair any damages.
11. Renter and Renters' party, guests and or visitors will conduct themselves in such a fashion as to cause no undue noise or annoyance or disturbance to neighbouring persons.
12. Renter undertakes to leave the accommodation clean and tidy with all dishes washed and put away. If not the breakage deposit will be forfeited. Company reserves the right to charge for extra cleaning. Extraordinary cleaning requirements or demands will be at additional cost to Renter.
13. Company and Proprietor takes no responsibility for loss, damage or injury to the Renter or any of Renter’s party as a consequence of this agreement or the occupancy following thereupon and is Company and Proprietor indemnified against, and exonerated from, same.
14. Renter indemnifies Company and Proprietor against loss, damage or injury sustained to property or persons as a result of any breach of these conditions or arising from the fault of the Renter or any member of the Renter's party, guest and or visitors, or otherwise.
15. Proprietor or its agents whomsoever reserve the right to enter rented property at any reasonable time.
16. House rules are posted at the rented premises and must be complied with.
17. This agreement may be terminated with immediate effect by Company and or Proprietor should Renter fail to comply with any of the conditions of this agreement in which case Renter will forfeit all rental and deposits paid and must Renter immediately evacuate the rented premises.
18. Company’s sole purpose is to bring a willing and able Renter and willing and able Proprietor [herein referred to as “Proprietor”] together. Once the rent agreement is signed Southern Staying’ agent commission becomes eligible which will immediately be deducted from any collected amounts. Agent commission is included in the quoted amounts [as negotiated with owners] and is nonrefundable. Renter indemnifies Company against any refund claim.
19. Every effort has been made to ensure an enjoyable and comfortable occupation. If, however, there is any cause for complaint, Company is anxious that remedial action is taken as quickly as possible. It is essential that the Renter contact Company and or Proprietors or a member of their staff so that any complaints can be speedily resolved as far as reasonably possible.
The following services are available at a fee, upon request: Continental Breakfast Basket, Bedding, Laundry, House Cleaning, Ironing, Gardening etc.
Team: Southern Staying